Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Drama Review: 7th Grade Civil Servant Episode 4

7th Grade Civil Servant
Episode 4

“There’s only one path I take.  It’s all for the country.”
“Making mistake is better than having regrets.”
“This is something I am doing for my colleagues.”
“They would be with me whether we live or we die.  I have to believe in them.”
                                                                                           ~ Gil- ro

            The game continued.  Won Suk has 4 kings.  Gil-ro has a pair of ace.  Won Suk obviously has the winning combination.  He should have won but he chose to give in—he let Gil-ro win by showing only 2 of his cards.  Everyone was happy that they got their salary back. 

            I think Gil-ro’s words are like reminders of Won Suk’s friend and comrade, Sung Joon.  It was a pretty cool scene that featured Gil-ro’s maturity and readiness.  He may be a little childish in ways more than one but there is something in him that differentiates him from the rest.  Very subtly, this episode showed how keen of an observer he is.  The ear movement of Won Suk which he obviously did on purpose was observed only by Gil-ro.  His conclusion may not be 100% accurate but that’s partly because it’s a test.  His sensitivity to what’s going on in his surrounding is undeniable.



            In this part of the episode, Won Suk definitely proves why he deserves his position.  He’s smart and clever.  The way he communicates to the neophytes sounds so ordinary on the surface.  But his strategy separates the ones with real potential.  It discriminates the snappy from the slowpoke.  It makes a distinction between a team player from the ones who would save their asses first.  It bifurcate the group into two-- cowards and the daredevils. It isolates the ones who are willing to sacrifice themselves to save their comrades. That was impressive.  But because of his really clever method, I got disappointed at Do-ha early on.  On the other hand, I didn’t expect Poo Eon to be the first to shell out his remaining chips to help Gil-ro. Do-ha’s and Sun Mi’s demerits for not helping is truly rational.   His trust may not be full, but he didn’t let his worries overtake what was necessary.  And I can understand why Won Suk let Gil-ro win.  How can he let his most impressive disciple down in a moment like this?  That alone proves how smart of a leader he is. 

            In so many cases in this show during on and off training, it is pretty comical when every time any of the trainees start blabbering about their personal lives that Won Suk would appear and slap them on the head either with his bare hands or with a rolled paper.  Then after that he would say something totally unexpected.  There’s always an alibi so he doesn’t even have to be straight forward.  And by that, I mean he doesn’t have to mention anything like “hey, don’t be telling anyone about your true identity,” or something like that.  One good example was when Gil-ro followed Seo Won to the hall.  This was when she was having a hard time just saying thank you to him.  Then he started mentioning something about his arranged dates.  Right at that moment, Won Suk came.  It was too much of a coincidence.  It’s was the same in episode 3 when Do-ha whispered to Gil-ro that he didn’t get in the NIS sitting in a review center to pass the civil service exam.  He got a slap on the head, too.  Once again, very subtly, Won Suk gets his teachings across.  I thought those incidents were knee-slappers.

Sun Mi:  Didn’t this happen because you go seducing this man and that?
Seo Won:  What did you just say?
Sun Mi:  You seduce them.  Look at how hard you’re staring at me.  Feels like you’re going to give me a thrashing.
Seo Won:  You’re too much.  Apologize.
Sun Mi:  Look at her.  She has a character.  Hey, you can’t wake up right? (She nudge Seo Won on the head.)
Seo Won:  Apologize to me.
Sun Mi:  So you’re a very courageous woman. (Nudge her again on the head.)  Follow me. (They both walked to the bathroom.  The rest of the girls were eavesdropping outside the door so as not to miss any action.)



            I was expecting a cat fight but more like a “BIG CAT fight”.  The tone in Seo Won’s voice tells me that she was about to give Sun Mi some beating to teach her a lesson right there and then.  But no, she waited ‘till they get into the bathroom.  She even borrowed a magazine of some sort, rolled it up and when they got into the bathroom, she was so ready to give her what she deserves when the unexpected happened. Sun Mi was just all mouth.  In the bathroom, she was like a baby explaining herself and her actions to her big sister.  Seo Won was so cool because if it was me, it’d probably be a different story. He he he he!

            Not even halfway through this episode and Gil-ro already made my heart race by his unconventional cutting edge cuteness strategy!  He made a “communication device” out of two paper cups and wire; tied the two cups with the wire.  He dropped the other end to Seo Won’s deck that startled the latter.  Oh, and the next scene just melted my heart.  First he said she doesn’t have to pay him back for the car.  Then he told her his arranged date experience.  Girls left him because he was rude but then he said that if there is one woman who would stay, that’s probably the one fated for him.  Although Seo Won tried to discourage him from continuing his soft-pedaled confession, but he continued and she was obviously charmed.


Gil-ro:  But…you’re seated there. 
Seo Won:  Don’t say useless things.  Hang up.
Gil-ro:  That’s why I hated you.  The girl fated for me is all about vanity.  She’s going around hunting for rich guys. 
Seo Won:  It doesn’t matter if I’m this kind of woman or that.
Gil-ro:  That’s right.  Since there’s another style that I like—(now get ready for this!)  Even when she has to work three part time jobs a day, a lively woman who doesn’t ask money from home.  Even when her school loans are as high as mountains, she doesn’t even look up to take a look at sons of rich men like me.  I like such woman.

            I can’t blame her for neither knowing what to say nor respond.  It was such a shock.  In her perspective there really wasn’t any warning.  She wasn’t ready for it plus at this point, she has other priorities.  She doesn’t even know yet if she really wants to stay in NIS or pursue a career in broadcasting.

            In this episode both Sung Joon and Woo Hyul, the leader among the three siblings, are dead.  During their fight, I could not believe Sung Joon didn’t even try to call for help from his colleagues.  I do like the part where they showed Woo Hyuk’s past (as a child).  Through this, I can at least see where he’s coming from.  Then I don’t have this thought that they’re nothing but cold-blooded killers.  My question now, is who will be the new leader.  Obviously, they are connected to a bigger organization but in terms of plotting and realizing the revenge, who’s going to control the wheels from now on?  I am hoping (partly) it would be Mi Rae.  That way, she and Seo Won could have their kick ass scenes together.  Don’t blame me.  I still have that “Killer K” symptom in me.

            In the next training session, in this case a drinking session, several honest thoughts sure came out like, “I have no idea why I am here.”  To me it wasn’t anything unusual.  I think that’s pretty typical of people—especially when drunk.   When things get difficult at work, you start questioning yourself why you’re doing what you’re doing but then after that, you go back anyway and life goes on.  In this part of the episode, I feel for Won Suk.  He just lost his friend but there he was trying not to cry in front of everyone because he is their trainer.  He can’t cry.  He can’t show weaknesses.

            After feeling a little down because of Woo Suk’s sadness that got to me, the scene with Seo Won’s parents was like a journey to hoopla.  This show reminds me of King of Drama in a way because just like the latter, it has characters that bring out the lighter side of the show and there are those that bring the seriousness of it.  Her dad was having a fit, for his plan to become the next town head went down the drain.

Now, from hoopla to camp cuteness.  Gil-ro pretended he has a hard time packing his parachute.  Everyone laughed at him except for Seo Won.  Before she moved on with the rest, she gave him an advice on how to do it.  But pulled the lever back so as not to sound concerned—“I feel frustrated looking at you, “ she said as if saying she didn’t give him advise because she cares.  This didn’t prevent Gil-ro from smiling, though.  OMG!  What do you do to a guy like that?! J  When everyone already left, he borrowed paint from one from the officer.  Something’s definitely cooking.

Next was the scene that probably melted Seo Won’s heart.  First, before she jumped off the helicopter, Gil-ro adjusted her radio’s frequency so later only the two of them could hear each other.  Then when they were both going down, he sang a happy birthday song for her.  This in itself was already something, it made Seo Won searching for Gil-ro in mid- air.  Then she saw the happy birthday sign painted on his parachute, she was speechless.  That was really sweet.  He is so creative.  I’m starting to wonder what else he’s going to do to show her his feelings for her.  In the future things are going to be more difficult because they’re both agents and they will each play a crucial role in their respective assignments.  So I’d like to see where his creativity will take him.  For now, that creativity took him next to Seo Won smiling and Do-ha looking jealous.

Seo Won: …And I don’t have time to date a boyfriend, so don’t keep being nice to me.
Gil-ro:  Even if I want to be nice to you, there is nothing I know about you.  What I know is your fake name, fake parents, and fake birthday.  When is your real birthday?  I’m Han Pil Hoon.  Who are you? (She just looked at him but this time, not with disgust but more admiration.) Would the day I really come to know you arrive someday? 
Seo Won:  Well, if I quit this place, maybe that’s possible. 


            This conversation was like a farewell.  Then it was followed by them dancing together to practice for their exam.  She approached him first and volunteered they practice together.  The conversation plus this are like their first and last everything.  Everything went smooth.  It reminds me of those times when I am so happy one day only because the next day, something not so good would happen.  It sucks!

            The way Gil-ro was dismissed was affecting.  Since he was a little boy, he’s sure of what he wants to be and what he wants to do but it ends here.  Of course, probably, viewers already know that really it doesn’t end here otherwise he’s not the main character.  That cry after Seo Won bid him farewell was so powerful.  I just realized how effective Joo Won’s acting is that I didn’t appreciate much in “King of Baking”.  I personally didn’t like his character there.  That’s probably it. But seeing Gil-ro cry makes me want to pet him and say, it is okay. 

Seo Won:  All the best.
Gil-ro:  I don’t even know who you are.  I don’t even know your name.
Seo Won:  I know your name.
Gil-ro:  Don’t stand in the rain.

The way he said his piece to Seo Won sounded like, he’s saying how unfair his situation is since he didn’t even get the chance to know the real identity of the woman he likes. 

            Gil-ro went partying instead of going straight home.  The dude was depressed and got wasted.  What he didn’t know was there was someone watching him the whole time.  At first I thought it was from Woo Hyuk’s side but it was actually Won Suk!  I felt so bad for him that my brain had stopped thinking so I was surprised about something that I should have foreseen.  Anyways, he’s given a special assignment and that is to observe who are getting closed to his dad. 

            Despite his background and his father being connected to the bad guys, I can see why Won Suk decided to keep Gil-ro.

Reasons why Gil-ro deserves to stay:
          He works hard to be the best.  Even before he went to the interview, he did what he thought were necessary preparations to be a good agent—target shooting, diving, etc.  Although his motivation was a movie, in his heart, he is sure of what he wants to do and become.

          He had proven how he’s willing to sacrifice himself for his comrades.

          Although he had childish streaks in the beginning of the training, he matured a lot and accepted important lessons handed to him by his discipline officer, Won Suk.
Time went by.  Gil-ro is now seated next to Mi Rae interviewing applicants for their company.  None so far had impressed Mi Rae.  Then the next applicant entered—“Hello.  Interview number 3324.  I’m Kim Jung Won.” 

Gil-ro looked at the resume and saw a familiar face…

            The way Seo Won looked at what’s around her was pretty obvious.  I hope she does a better job next time.  And when they stared at each other, a criminal mind could easily infer that they know each other.  But I guess that reaction was unavoidable since they both didn’t know that they’re going to have a similar assignment.  It would be interesting to know how they would interact with each other.  Since Seo Won doesn’t know that Gil-ro is still an NIS agent, I could already see a lot of misunderstandings.  Poor Gil-ro.  And poor me, because once again, I’m left hanging onto a skinny branch in mid-air and the only thing that could save me is episode 5. 










No comments:

Post a Comment